Redwood Scientific Technologies
Oral strip delivery technology has emerged as an advanced alternative to the traditional tablets, capsules, and liquid medications. Similar in size, shape, and thickness to a postage stamp, oral strips are typically designed for oral administration and work by having the user place the strip on or under the tongue. These drug delivery options allow the medication to bypass the first pass metabolism thereby making the medication more bioavailable. As the strip dissolves, the drug can enter the bloodstream enterically, buccally or sublingually. Evaluating the systemic transmucosal drug delivery, the buccal mucosa is the preferred region as compared to the sublingual mucosa. The sublingual and buccal delivery of a drug via this patented film product has the potential to improve the onset of action, lower the dosing, and enhance the efficacy and safety profile of the medicament.
- All tablet dosage forms, soft gels, and liquid formulations primarily enter the bloodstream via the gastrointestinal tract, which subjects the drug to degradation from stomach acid, bile, digestive enzymes, and other first-pass effects. As a result, such formulations often require higher doses and generally have a delayed onset of action.
- Conversely, buccal and sublingual oral strip delivery technology can avoid these issues and yield quicker onsets of action at lower doses.
- Oral strips are more stable, durable, and quicker dissolving than other conventional dosage forms.
- Oral strips enable improved dosing accuracy relative to liquid formulations since every strip is manufactured to contain a precise amount of the drug.
- Oral strips’ ability to dissolve rapidly without the need for water provides an alternative to patients with swallowing disorders and to patients suffering from nausea, such as those patients receiving chemotherapy.
- Oral strips deliver a convenient, quick-dissolving therapeutic dose contained within an abuse-deterrent film matrix that cannot be crushed or injected by patients, and rapidly absorbs under the tongue to ensure compliance.
- Facilitates absorption 3 to 10 times greater than an oral tablet---only surpassed by hypodermic injection.